Three basic suggestions to get a head start on your unique Twitter background:
- Make it consistent looking with your site/blog if you have one. Consistency simplifies recognition of your unique style across all your web identities.
- Make the background large enough (I would suggest at least 2560 pixel wide) to fill the large screens and/or blend it seamessly with a selected background color.
- Make sure your background looks good and makes sense on the smaller resolution screens, say at 1024 pixel wide by 768 pixel high, especially if you have an information rich one. With the increasing popularity of light small screened netbooks, you probably wouldn’t want your important contact info being covered by the twitterstream.
Ready to get started and need specific instructions?
Here are a few good step-by-step tutorials:
- Twitter Background Guidelines
- How to Make a Twitter Background Picture
- Custom Twitter Backgrounds: Tips for Better Readability
- Create a Twitter Background Using Powerpoint or Keynote
..and some free resources to get you going:
- Twitter Patterns offer free downloadable background patterns.
- Boinblog offers a free downloadable Photoshop template to customize your Twitter profile.
- Tweetstyle offers some great looking free backgrounds to download as well as suggestions on matching design colors.
- Manga lover? Enjoy a collection of free downloadable Twitter Background Images from Japan.
Hire a Designer
Not comfortable with Photoshop or alike?
No problem. Many designers are ready to help you »